May 22, 2013

Rhubarb Crumble Pie


 

Serious topic today.
Rhubarb. Who was that person who decided to eat this plant? Who was sacrificed? Why is it that the leaf is poisonous and the stalk not? It's amazing to me. These are the things I think about daily. (And artichokes. Seriously? Who deemed that edible?!) Welcome to my mind!

I just don't get it. But what I do get is this Rhubarb Crumble Pie. Stupid easy to understand, so easy I didn't even put any comments or helpful tips. It's delicious. End of lesson. Get your sleeves rolled up and put on an apron because it's baking time!

Rhubarb Crumble Pie

Crust/Topping

1/2 cup                    melted butter
1 + 1/2 cups            rolled oats
1/2 cup                   a.p flour
2/3 cup                   brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients for crust. Save 1/4 for topping. Firmly mold and pat into pie plate.



Filling

3 cups                    diced rhubarb
1/2 cup                  white sugar
1 + 1/2 tbsp           flour
1 egg beaten
1/4 tsp                   nutmeg
1 tsp                      cinnamon

With a spoon combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Turn out into shell. Pat remaining crumble on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Enjoy!



Now someone needs to tell me who decided to eat rhubarb. Along with artichokes, puffer fish, lobster and crabs. I mean how many people did it take to find out which parts of a puffer fish are edible. Come on.

  Elanne Boake

4 comments:

  1. Rhubarb is definitely a weird looking plant! But, holy cow, is it amazing in a pie/crumble. Trader Joe's used to have this strawberry rhubarb pie that was THE BEST! They might still have it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a great addition to a pie! I love the sour tang to it!

      Delete
  2. I love that the topping and crust are both crumbly and full of oats! I think about who discovered that rhubarb was edible all the time. My mom talks about how her parents grew and cooked it when she was a kid and she has no idea how they knew not to eat the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Rhubarb is certainly a weird plant and it perplexes me how people would know not to eat the leaves!

      Delete