Lavender Madeleines



There are a lot of household items that we buy and use maybe once or twice. You know them. Melon ballers, juicers, bread makers and madeleine pans. It's because most of these things only serve one purpose, and we like to use multipurpose things. And let's just face it, not many people here make watermelon balls on a day to day basis.
However, I try my hardest to use my madeleine pan, and since we had lavender too, I decided to try them out together! Now, I've made madeleines before and they didn't have the hump on the back. Many people are puzzled by this, but the trick is just to refrigerate the batter for about two hours. And if you don't want the hump, don't refrigerate. Bada-bing, bada-boom, and either way you've got yourself some Lavender Madeleines!

Lavender Madeleines

Makes 16

Madeleines

3/4 cup                 flour
1/2 tsp                   baking powder
5 tbsp                    butter
1 tsp                      lavender, rubbed
2 eggs                 
1/3 cup                  sugar
1 tsp                      vanilla
1/2 tbsp                 honey (optional)

Whisk the flour and baking powder together in one bowl. Set aside. Melt the butter with the lavender in a small saucepan. In another bowl, with an electric mixer (whisk attachment) beat the eggs and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and stir. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, them add the melted butter and honey. Mix until just combined. Pour into greased madeleine pans until just full. Place in fridge for 2-3 hours. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool and take out of molds with aid of an offset spatula. Enjoy!



 These are perfect for a tea and the lavender flavour is AMAZING! They are so fluffy and light. Just the best flavour for madeleines!

Elanne Boake

Comments

  1. Very pretty :) I've always wanted a madeleine pan, but like other one-purpose pans (donut pans, etc.), I just can't bring myself to buy it and only use it a couple times a year! Our kitchen is too small for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tasty, only tried lemon flavored myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great Shelan! I was looking for lavender the other day, but alas could not find any. Let me know if you spot anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First try...not so good. How would you adjust the temp and baking time for a dark, non-stick pan? I reduced the temp to 390°, but the bottoms were dark and the tops just firm and light. Not nearly as pretty as yours. And do madeleine pans come with different size molds? I only got nine cookies from the recipe :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Sorry they did not turn out as planned!
      I haven't used this recipe since 2 years ago, so I'm not very experienced with it. However, i do often use another recipe for madeleines that works quite well. Try this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9954/french-butter-cakes-madeleines/
      As for the madeleine pans, the recipe I use normally fills them all, so I get about 16, two inch cookies. Because your pan is dark it absorbs the heat, causing your cookies to cook faster/brown more easily. Keep that in mind when trying again; reduce the temperature to maybe 350 degrees. Keep an eye on them!

      Delete

Post a Comment