Dark Chocolate Roast Garlic Primal Ice Cream



  I was VERY MUCH skeptical when my sister asked me to do this recipe with her. Making it wasn't exactly the big problem, it looked quite easy. Eating it was the issue. She wanted me to eat this concoction!
I'm not much of a garlic fan myself, but the chocolate part had me sold. I was quite looking forward to collaborating with my big sis, not so much eating what we had created... But, I must tell you, it was quite exceptional! You can't taste the garlic in the beginning, but it's the aftertaste that hits you hard! Get your sleeves rolled up and put on an apron because it's baking time! Remember: Freeze your ice cream maker bowl two days before hand!

Dark Chocolate Roast Garlic Primal Ice Cream

Makes 5-6 servings

100 g                   organic dark chocolate
3 cups                  organic cream
6 egg yolks
5 tbsp                   coconut sugar
4 cloves                roast garlic

Wrap one head of garlic in tinfoil with some olive oil, and place in your toaster oven at 400 degrees bake for 40 minutes. Place chocolate and 1 cup of the cream in a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk until chocolate has melted. Add the remaining cream. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat. In a medium mixing bowl whisk egg yolks until pale yellow. Add sugar and whisk until incorporated. Slowly whisk 1/3 of the cream into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. This is to temper the eggs. Pour the rest of the cream slowly into the egg mixture, whisk to combine. Then pour back into saucepan and place over low heat, stirring occasionally until it thickens slightly (until it reaches 175 degrees F.). Add the garlic. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let it cool. Refrigerate for 8 hours or more. Pour into an ice cream maker and process for 25-30 minutes. Place in an air tight container and freeze. Enjoy!



Comments:

-We used 80% dark chocolate
-We roasted a whole head of garlic, you only need four, use the rest for something else.
-To make this paleo, you could substitute the cream for light coconut milk (we have not tried this)
-If you don't have coconut sugar you can use organic cane sugar instead.



Remember to check out my sister's blog, Alex Boake Illustration + Comics, for her illustration of this unique recipe. 
This ice cream is definitely for garlic lovers, I'll say this recipe is very interesting and unique. Definitely something to try if you're on the wild side!

Elanne Boake

Comments

  1. I'm a little scared of the garlic, but I'm always up to try new things! This is definitely an intriguing recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too, but after it had been freezer burnt, it was a very subtle garlic flavour. I thought it was delicious!

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Garlic ice cream? I'm not sure if I can be so adventurous :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment