August 19, 2014

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Squares




I'm back! It's good to be home. I missed my computer and bed a lot. Typical for an internet dwelling person like me.
I recently took a trip out west to Calgary, to visit my friend who had just moved there. I must say it was so different there compared to Toronto, I didn't feel like I was in Canada! First of all the streets were numbered which really screwed me up. You would think that numbers would be easier, but not for me. Also, they had a surprisingly different amount of wildlife, like magpies and giant hares (they were bigger than cats), as well as in the country; grizzly bears and elk.

Needless to say, it was an amazing trip and I'm glad I could spend it with one of my best friends. I hope I can go back soon to visit, it's probably one of my favorite places now. My friend's Mom was kind enough to give me some items for photography like the plate you see before you. :)

While I was there I was able to whip up a batch or two of these squares for my friend's family. They were a success with them, so I figured I would smuggle a few through the airport to take them home to photograph for the blog. And here they are! Might I mention they were a great snack on the plane ride back!

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Squares

Makes one, 9x11" pan

Crust

1/2 cup                           butter, softened
1/4 cup                           sugar
1 cup                              a.p flour
1/8 tsp                            salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Combine until mixture just begins to stick together to form a coarse crumble. Dump out into a greased 9x11" pan and press into the bottom to form an even layer. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Filling

3 eggs
1 1/4 cup                        sugar
1/2 cup                           peanut butter
1/2 cup                           a.p flour
1/4 tsp                            vanilla extract
1/3 cup                           mini chocolate chips

Combine all the ingredients for the filling except the chocolate chips in a large bowl and beat until incorporated. Add the chocolate chips last and mix into the batter with a spoon. Once the crust has baked, pour the filling over it and spread it out to form an even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top has just puffed an settled. Don't bake for too long! Let cool then cut into squares, enjoy!


If you ever get the chance to visit Calgary, or even Canada in general, I would go for it. I find it amazing. I might be bragging because it's my home but, I'm sure anyone would agree that it's a beautiful place with so much greenery and wildlife to offer, that it is a must see.

Elanne Boake

No comments:

Post a Comment