Coffee Crême Brulée


Another year, another attempt to keep up with this blog. I'm trying to get back into the rhythm of photographing the desserts I make, but it's difficult when you're racing against time.
What I mean is, the sun sets super early so I never get the chance to take pictures of the things I make. Yeah, I could just turn on a lamp, but any good photographer knows that you can't beat some good old natural sunlight. However, I'm convinced the sun hates me, so that's that.

I really wanted to make something this weekend while not tied up with school, so I decided to make crême brulée for you guys (and of course for me too) just because it's so gosh darn easy. There are maximum three steps to making it. A perfect recipe to whip up real quick before the sun goes down! If that's not good incentive I don't know what is.


Coffee Crême Brulée

1 1/2 cups              heavy cream
4 tbsp                    sugar
1/2 tsp                   ground espresso beans
1 tsp                      vanilla
3 egg yolks
extra sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a kettle or on the stove, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, set aside.
In a small saucepan combine the cream, 4 tbsp of sugar, vanilla and espresso beans. Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, making sure it doesn't boil over. In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks lightly. While whisking constantly, add the cream mixture to the egg yolks. Strain through a sieve into a large measuring cup.
Fill approximately 3 ramekins with the custard mixture. Set them in a glass pan, fill the glass pan halfway with the water you boiled. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until set but slightly jiggly in the center. Allow them to cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, sprinkle the tops with sugar and use a blowtorch to brulée the tops. You can even put them under the broiler in your oven, just make sure you keep an eye on them. Serve with fresh berries and/or ice cream of your choice. Enjoy!


I'm really looking forward to seeing how 2018 treats me. There are so many things that I want to do, I want to get better at so much too. Hopefully I be able to keep up!
I'm so excited, but first, crême brulée.

Elanne Boake

Comments