Salted Rosemary & Chocolate Cookies


I don't often use herbs in my baking. So when I decide to post a recipe with one, you KNOW it's going to be good.
My friend gave me a cookbook about a month ago called Duchess Bake Shop, and I've been in love with it. The pictures are great and the recipes are even better.
This one in particular caught my eye. Of course, it looked interesting, but I didn't really think much of it. I have encountered far too many cookie recipes from books that end up being a total letdown, so I almost didn't try this out. Man, am I glad I did.
These are super chewy and fudgy and have the perfect balance of sweetness with a pleasant note of rosemary. But, what really ties it together is the salt on top. This is a must try recipe.

Recipe adapted from Duchess Bake Shop Cookbook.

Salted Rosemary & Chocolate Cookies

Makes about a dozen

1 cup              sugar
1/2 tsp            rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 cup           butter
1/2 tsp            vanilla
1 egg
1/3 cup          cocoa powder
1 cup             a.p flour
1/2 tsp           baking soda
1/2 cup          chocolate, chopped
1 tsp              salt (decorating)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl combine the sugar and chopped rosemary. Pinch it together to infuse the sugar with the rosemary flavour. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and whip for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Sift the dry ingredients until the bowl and stir. Add the chocolate chips and mix to incorporate evenly.
Scoop the cookie dough onto baking trays lined with parchment. Sprinkle salt on top. Makes sure they are at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes. They should look slightly under-baked when you take them out. Allow them to cool, and enjoy!


I often find that chocolate cookies are kind of dry. Has anyone else experienced this?
I was amazed with this recipe as these cookies were so chewy but still had the perfect amount of crispness. If you were or are a doubtful cookie-maker like I am, I would definitely give these a go!

Elanne Boake

Comments