Hazelnut Mousse Crunch Bars

 
I'm the kind of person that usually only bakes something once.
I like to try new things, what can I say?
But, of course, there are always exceptions.
I went looking through my own blog (as you do) and I realized there are so many great recipes that I have never made again. Scrolling, I came across my Hazelnut Mousse Tart recipe and I noticed that I made it in 2015. How. I honestly don't believe it was that long ago.
Missing that amazing hazelnut-y flavour, I made the mousse again, but this time I added a little different spin on it. Crunch! Something that I happen to love in desserts, and yet, I don't add? I know, it makes no sense.

One thing I have always wanted to try was Pailleté Feuilletine, which is essentially chocolate mixed with these really thin crunchy cookie crumbs. And well, I can't be bothered to buy Feuilletine so the next best thing? Corn Flakes.
It worked really well, flavour and texture wise. Success! The only mistake I made was leaving the dessert it in the freezer too long. Oops. (Which is strangely one of those things that can change your entire dessert for the better or the worse)

Hazelnut Mousse Crunch Bars

Makes one 9"x9" square mold, about 10 bars

Flourless Chocolate Cake Base

3 tbsp                     butter
4 oz                        semi sweet chocolate
1/4 cup                   sugar
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks

Prepare a baking pan (that is at least the size of your square mold so you can fit it in there later, preferable 9"x9") by lightly brushing it with butter and lining with parchment.
In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate with the butter until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
In a stainless steel bowl free of any grease, whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the sugar, a little at a time until hard peaks form.
Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate and whisk together. Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and whisk. Add the next third and fold gently. Repeat with remaining egg whites, folding until just combined.
Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake at 275 for 20 minutes. Allow to cool. Take the required (bottomless) square cake mold and cut the flourless cake to fit. Remove scrap pieces, set aside.

Chocolate Cornflake Crunch

2 cups                 cornflakes
4 oz                     semi sweet chocolate, melted
2 tbsp                  Nutella

Place corn flakes in a medium sized bowl, crush slightly into smaller pieces.
Mix the Nutella with the melted chocolate until smooth. Add to the cornflakes and stir.
Spoon over prepared flourless chocolate cake and spread evenly. Set aside.

Hazelnut Mousse

1 1/2 cups          whipping cream
1 cup                  cream cheese
3/4 cup               hazelnut praline
2 tbsp                 brown sugar
2 tsp                   vanilla

In a chilled stainless steel bowl whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Place in fridge until next step.
In a medium bowl, cream the cream cheese, and brown sugar together until smooth. Add the hazelnut praline and vanilla, blend well. Take 1/3 of the whipped cream and fold into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it. Add the rest and fold gently until combined.
Pour into rectangle mold over top of the chocolate crunch layer. Spread evenly with offset spatula. Place in freezer to chill. Once chilled cut into bars, about 1"x 4.5" wide and place in the fridge.

Cremeux

1 tsp                   powdered gelatin
280 g                 semi sweet chocolate, chopped finely
2/3 cup              milk
2/3 cup              whipping cream
4 egg yolks
30 g                   sugar
1 tbsp                instant coffee powder

Bloom the gelatin in cold water. Set aside.
In a small saucepan over low heat, bring the milk and cream to a simmer. Meanwhile in a heatproof bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light. Temper the egg yolks with the hot milk mixture by adding it to the bowl while whisking constantly. Place back into saucepan and bring to 83 degrees. (Do not let it cook too long. Use a candy thermometer!) Once it has reached the required temp. add the bloomed gelatin and instant coffee powder, and stir to melt. Pour the hot egg and milk mixture into the bowl of chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then stir to combine. Place in the fridge to chill, about 30 minutes.
Once chilled, transfer to piping bag fitted with a petal tip. Pipe along top of the bar, making sure to apply pressure evenly. Top with them with candied hazelnuts. Enjoy!
       

There are so many new things I have in my head right now that I can't wait to try out. So many flavours and that i have never worked with; grapefruit, passion fruit, earl grey... Can't wait until I have more free time. Until then!

Elanne Boake

Comments

  1. Hi! Beautiful dessert! I just wanted to ask what size if cake pan did you use to bake the flourless base?
    And would you please explain the instructions about cutting the cake to the size of the pan? I'm sorry but english isn't my first language so its a bit unclear to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maraha, thank you! I baked my flourless cake in a pan that was bigger than the square mold I used. I trimmed it to fit into the square mold. I added more information into the recipe above and a link to a picture! Let me know if that helped!

      Delete

Post a Comment